Saturday, May 17, 2014

Dark Sword Miniatures G.R.R.M. Masterworks Kickstarter Loot

I received my Kickstarter loot from Dark Sword Miniatures on Monday.  The box actually arrived on Saturday but I wasn't home to sign for it so I had to wait.  After getting my greedy hands on the package and ripping into the blisters, I found that the wait was definitely worth while.  The new G.R.R.M. Masterworks miniatures are absolutely beautiful.  I received 28 total miniatures (exact contents are listed at the bottom of this post).  Unfortunately I had to pass on most of the add-ons because I already had many of the selected miniatures in my collection (not a bad problem to have).  Overall I still got a great deal on the minis though and I can't wait to get my brush on them!


Just like the previous Kickstarter by DSM, Jim and his crew certainly had their act together.  Immediately after the project ended I received a backer survey in the mail.  I submitted my choices then waited.  The wait was not long however, unlike many other Kickstarter projects.  The time between the end of the fundraising period until I received my backer's reward was less than 2 months.  The estimated delivery date was right on target.  Well done guys!


In addition to the great miniatures, I also received this nice document signed by Jim Ludwig (the president of DSM), Tom Meier (the sculptor) and Mr. George R. R. Martin himself.  Of course the miniatures were the reason I backed the project.  Little extras like this however, prove that the company cares about the hobby and about their customers.

Here is everything displayed all together for a photo.

Once again I am very happy with both the company and their Kickstarter project.  I will not hesitate to back any future efforts.


Reward Contents

Pack 1 of 10
  Jeor Mormont
  Davos Seaworth
  Arianne Martelle

Pack 2 of 10
  Viserys
  Brynden Tully
  Limited Edition Sorceress

Pack 3 of 10
  Maester Pycelle
  Barristan Selmy
  Chataya

Pack 4 of 10
  Prince Joffrey
  Male & Female Minstrels

Pack 5 of 10
  Mounted Khal Drogo

Pack 6 of 10
  Mounted Ser Loras Tyrell

Pack 7 of 10
  Lady in Waiting
  Septa
  Brothel Worker

Pack 8 of 10
  Scribe of Westeros at Writing Desk

Pack 9 of 10
  Cocky Young Hedge Knight x2

Pack 10 of 10
  Brothers of the Knights Watch

Add Ons
  Exclusive Variant Sculpt of the Scribe of Westeros at Writing Desk
  Kev & Tre Tribute Sculpts


Anyone else back this project?  If so, are you happy with the quality of the miniatures and the speed in which the rewards were delivered?

Thanks for reading!


8 comments:

  1. Anonymous5:23 PM

    Backed it, too and I being in Germany actually got them the last week of April. Only had the time to give them a cursory look before going in holiday and they looked great. Even my better half, who often has ideas to improve minis ;-) loved them.

    Their turn around time was just marvelous. So much so, that when I got a message from custom officials (only complaint I could voice that they did not properly fill out the customs forms, but I do not really care) that they were holding a package addressed to me, I had not idea from whom it was!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Late April? That's awesome! Makes me appreciate DSM's efforts even more. Enjoy your minis. Make sure you post some completed pics.

      Delete
  2. I didn't actually get mine until Tuesday the 13th, so I was one of the last ones delivered. But considering DSM got everyone's packages to us 2 weeks earlier than I expected, I couldn't be happier. They are a great company on many levels.

    I got the same rewards as you with the addition of the 2 mages variant sculpts. Most of the other add-ons were a little too large for my budget. As expected, the quality, life, and realistic detail of the minis is outstanding. I am still trying to decide which extra head from the Sworn Brothers to use on the 2nd Hedge Knight for a different look.

    By the way, I'm jealous that you got #7. I only got #62.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. But neither one of us got #1. Ha!

      I'm torn also about the 2nd Hedge Knight. Let me know when you decide!

      Delete
    2. I chose my 5 sworn bothers heads first and then narrowed down 2 options form the remaining 5 heads. I wanted to have as many of these 7 figures with something on their heads, i.e. helmet, coif, etc., and most of the brothers seemed to chose themselves. The 2 heads that I like for the hedge knight are 1 with medium length hair parted on the right w/ a short beard and mustache and 1 with a gambeson hood (or arming cap) up. The second doesn't fit quite as well, but that can be modified. I may use both of these heads as I'm not overly fond of the original: It looks like Norm MacDonald! I think I got all the basses correct, too. I will e-mail you a few pics so you can see what I'm babbling about. I'm curious as to your choices as well!

      Delete
  3. I've nomintated you for a Liebster. http://scottswargaming.blogspot.co.nz/2014/05/ive-been-liebstered-again.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks buddy. It's quite an honor coming from you!

      Delete