Saturday, August 25, 2012

Two Minis and a Hurricane

Sorry about the lack of updates this past week.  I had several posts planned but mother nature had different plans for me.  Isaac, though uninvited, decided to come pay my island home a visit.  Since the highest point on the island is only eight feet above sea level, any tropical system deserves my full attention. I've spent the last week pulling my personal boat out of the water, prepping and tying lines on the two work boats, and getting the house ready for a good blow.  Now that all the hard work is done, I'm sitting in my shutter-darkened office, having a nice cold adult beverage, and enjoying the calm before the storm.  And while I still have power, I though I'd just combine a few of the posts I had in mind to form a quick update.

This Isaac


  Not this Isaac

Now for the update. The sweet little lass below is a great mini from Hasslefree Miniatures (Barwench HFV001).  She is part of the villagers line, of which I have several others.  As is usually the case from Hasslefree, the sculpt is wonderful, the details are sharp, and the mini came in with very little prep work to perform.



She is destined to mainly serve in my Legends of the High Seas campaign but like some of the other miniatures I'm using as inhabitants of Port Largo, she is pretty much genera-neutral.  She would be equally at home in the Golden Age of Piracy, medieval Europe, or any fantasy setting. 


I've painted her up to be a fairly young serving lass.  I tried to invoke a bit of innocence in the color scheme instead of the bawdiness I emphasized on most of my other "ladies" of Port Largo.  I also moved away from my normal female skin tone and used slightly darker colors.  I was attempting to portray an islander of mixed descent but I'm not sure how well I succeeded.

I was also able to complete another pirate/privateer (I'm still undecided) from Black Scorpion Miniatures.  There's not much to say about him except I'm rather pleased with the gaunt look I was able to achieve on his facial features.  I wanted him to look hungry and a bit desperate.  I may have done that with his face but I failed to factor in his clothing.  He's a bit well-dressed for a man with nothing to lose.  Oh well...


I've also finished off three fantasy miniatures, with an additional four almost completed, but they will have to wait.  My frosty adult beverage is now empty and I just felt another early outer rain band hit.  Time to go and watch the wind blow.  See you all on the other side.

"Squalls out on the Gulf Stream, big storm's coming soon..." -- Jimmy Buffett

3 comments:

  1. Hey mate, just hoping you're OK, fella? One of the downsides to living in paradise I guess?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha! Thanks for asking. Doing fine. I guess my last post was rather ominous, especially when followed by relative silence. We weathered the storm fairly well....just minor damage here and there. I've spent the last several days after Isaac cleaning up and getting the house, yard, boats, and work back into order. Not much time for hobbies until tonight. Now it's back to the regularly scheduled program until the next storm comes around. And yes Scott, it is most definitely the price of living in paradise.

    Oh, watching the Dolphins play tonight. If you ever make it over to this side of the world, I'll get you into the stadium so you can watch them play live! I find it so odd that a Brit/Kiwi likes American Football. So were you a Marino fan back in the day?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good to hear you are well!

    Wow, that would be cool!
    Yeah, I'm one of a kind perhaps ;-) - Marino, ah was THE Man! His rookie year says it all. He became a legend pretty much, and I have always been saddened that he didn't manage a Superbowl win... so close and yet so far...

    Sadly the Dolphins of recent years have been a shadow of their former selves... but a fan stays loyal and looks to the future... :-)

    ReplyDelete