Tuesday, April 05, 2011

A Great Map for a Great Cause

It is no secret that I am a huge fan of The Lord of the Rings.  I owe most of my love for fantasy, and gaming by extension, to Professor Tolkien and his works.  Though my hobbies cover a rather large gamut of interests, LotR seems to be the binding agent between those areas or at least the old lovable stand-by that is always there waiting for me when other pursuits turn boring and dull.  I am always on the lookout for great sites on the subject as well as collectibles.  Not long ago, I found both.

Recently the fellows over at TheDunedain.net and Middle-earth Network have introduced the all new Dunedain Radio.  Featuring LotR inspired music, news, and chats, the internet radio station launched on Friday March 25th and has been open in my browser almost constantly since then.  Though there seems to be a few hiccups here and there (what new endeavor does not have them?), I am very pleased with the content and format and wish Dunedain Radio continued success.

If you are a fan of Tolkien and Middle-earth, you may want to consider making a small donation.  Charity and giving always feels good, but when you receive a gift in return for something you planned to do anyhow, well it's almost like a hobbit going to a birthday party and coming home with a present.  And that's exactly what is happening now at Dunedain Radio.  If you donate $20 - $26 (depending on where you live), those fine folks will send you a mathom worth keeping --- The Map of the Dwarves.

My map.  The wrinkles are due to the mailman's ineptness.





I received my copy a few days ago and as you can see above, it is truly a wonderful work of art.  The colors and lines are quite crisp and clear even though the parchment paper used gives the feeling of age and weight when held.  According to the website, the map was created as a special commission by the artist Daniel Govar and is only available to supporters of Dunedain Radio.  The map itself is obviously inspired by Thror's Map in The Hobbit.  And though the wording is the same, dare I say that the artwork is much better than the original? (Please forgive me Professor Tolkien).  I also want to point out that the map is quite large - 17 by 22 inches in fact.  I failed to include an object for scale in the photo above but the size would definitely be suitable for framing or gracing a position of honor in a gaming room.

By donating to Dunedain Radio, you are not only supporting a great LotR news and entertainment site, but helping the victims of the earthquake and tsunami in Japan as well.  I was pleased to discover that a portion of all donations will go to a relief charity called Hands on Tokyo.  It may not be much but remember that every little bit counts.

As the title says, this is a great map for a great cause (two great causes actually!).  Check out the site and the radio station and give a little if you can.  I did and I am very happy with the return.

No comments:

Post a Comment